Current FIDE Rating: 2057
Panayoti learned chess when he was a little kid and he’s been in love with the Royal Game ever since! Born in 1990 in a small town in the South of Greece, he was first introduced to chess when he was 5 years-old and he gradually developed his skills to become a competitive chess player.
He loves teaching kids as well as adults and he enjoys watching his students evolve as chess players. He specializes in middle-game strategy and chess history and he is best known for his efforts to combine teaching tactics, strategy and the like touching on more general topics and stories pertaining to chess (e.g. chess and psychology, chess and engines, chess history etc).
Panayoti believes that chess provides a unique tool for developing certain life skills (e.g. improve focus, gain discipline, sharpen judgment) as well as for inculcating important values (e.g. respect, self-restraint). He regards and teaches chess not just as a set of rules and principles but as a part of general human culture.
He is currently teaching the Beginners and Intermediate Players Classes at Hart House Chess Club (students) and from next January he will also be teaching at Canada’s Chess Youth Club (kids).
Panayoti played his last chess tournament in 2009, after which he retired in order to study law. He now considers himself a developing coach and an avid chess enthusiast. He holds an LL.B. (2013) and an LL.M. (2014) from the University of Athens and he earned his second LL.M. from Harvard Law School (2015). He is currently a first-year PhD student at U of T’s Law School and he is the Captain of U of T’s Varsity Chess Team.
In his free time he likes playing volleyball, working out and watching lots of movies!
- National Greek School Chess Champion (2005)
- Represented Greece in the World School Chess Championship (2005)
- National Greek Team Chess Champion (2006)
- Fourth place in the World School Chess Championship (2007)
- Third place in the National Chess Championship U-20 (2008)
- First place in International Open Chess Tournament and Retirement (2009)
- Joins Harvard Law School’s Official Chess Club (2014)
- Joins Yale University’s Official Chess Club (2015)
- Founder and Coach at Athens Law School’s Official Chess Club (2016)
- Director of Communications and Coach at Hart House Chess Club. Captain in U of T’s Varsity Chess Team (2017-18)