On Saturday, November 12th, 2022, the Hart House Chess Club crowned it’s 2022 Rapid Champion, FM Mike Ivanov. Former Club Secretary and President, Mike went undefeated, recording a 5.5/6 score, and bagged the $225 prize along with it. The tournament consisted of 54 players split into 2 sections, OPEN and U1400. Held at the East Common Room, the time control was 15 mins + 10 seconds increment, a time control that made rounds quick and games eventful. Numerous games ended in in complex endgames with imbalances, making spectating exciting and entertaining to watch.
Congratulations to the tournament winners! Please check your emails for instructions for claiming your prize.
|Open 1st||$225.00||Mike Ivanov||$225|
|Open Tied 2nd-3rd||$250.00||Jura Ochkoos|
|Top Woman||$60.00||Cindy Qiao|
|Top U1800||$60.00||Jacob Taylor||$60|
|Top U2200||$60.00||Ethan Moon||$60|
|U1400 1st||$125.00||Henry Vu||$125.00|
|U1400 Tied 2nd-3rd||$125.00||Slava Lukinykh|
|Top Unrated||$50.00||Denys Melnychuk||$50.00|
|Top Woman||$50.00||Alexa Roque||$50.00|
|Total Prize $||$1,005.00|
Pre-event information below…
Join us for our Hart House Chess Club Rapid Championship and Raffle fundraising tournament!
Open to all, this 2-section tournament offers a fun and competitive way to play chess while supporting the Club’s fundraising efforts. In addition to improving club equipment, this year’s fundraising will go towards hosting the Ivy League Challenge, sending teams to tournaments abroad (PanAms and CUCC) and special social events involving titled players.
All community members, non-participants included, are encouraged to participate in the Raffle to help support the fundraising efforts. Official flyer
For rapid tournament players: $5 for one ticket, $10 for 3 tickets. Non-rapid players: $10 for one ticket, $20 for 3 tickets. Tickets may be purchased onsite or online. The draw will be hosted live at 4:00 PM before the start of Round 6. All raffle participants will receive a Hart House Chess Club pen.
Raffle prizes will include:
- Hart House Chess Club t-shirt (x2)
- Signed HHCC GM Hikaru Nakamura t-shirt (x2)
- Signed chess board by GM Garry Kasparov (x2)
- Entry into one of the Holidays Open or Reading Week Open (x2)
RAPID TOURNAMENT INFORMATION:
- WHEN: Saturday, November 12th, 10 am – 5 pm. Rd #1 starts at 10:00 A.M.
- WHERE: Hart House (7 Hart House Cir, Toronto) – East Common Room.
- WHAT: 6-round Rapid Event (Swiss), using a 15 minute + 10 sec/move increment time control.
- RATINGS: CFC Quick Rated. CFC classical ratings will be used for Rd #1 pairings and final prizes. All players are required to have a valid CFC membership to play in this tournament. Players can either pay the fee online or bring cash onsite. HHCC students with a CFC membership can represent the Club at the CUCC and GTCL.
- ENTRY FEE: OPEN SECTION: $30 for members, $40 for non-members. U1400 SECTION: $25 for members, $35 for non-members. RAFFLE TICKETS: $5 for one ticket, $10 for 3 tickets.
- TITLED PLAYERS: free for WIM / IM / WGM / GM. $10 discount for WFM / FM. Email us for information.
- REGISTRATION: Pay online by November 10th 11:59 PM. Or in-person on Fridays during casual play. Onsite registration before 9:30 AM.
- PRIZE FUND ($1200 est. based on 70 entries): OPEN SECTION: 1st place – $250 + Championship Title; 2nd place – $175; 3rd place – $125; Top U2200 – $75; Top U1800 – $75, Top Woman: $75. U1400 SECTION: 1st place – $150; 2nd place – $100; 3rd place – $75; Top Woman – $50; Top Unrated – $50.
- MAXIMUM CAPACITY: 80 players
- NOTE: chess sets and boards provided
- ARBITER: National Arbiter Alex Ferreira
- UNRATED PLAYERS: If your online rating is sufficiently high enough, then you can register for the OPEN section (send us an email to confirm). You would then be eligible to compete for 1st-3rd prizes in the OPEN section. Unrated players in U1400 can only compete for the unrated prize.
- Round 1 at 10:00 a.m.
- Round 2 at 11:00 a.m.
- Round 3 at 12:00 noon
- Lunch Break
- Round 4 at 02:00 p.m.
- Round 5 at 03:00 p.m.
- Round 6 / Raffle draw at 04:00 p.m.
OPEN – 27 pre-registrants
|Number||Name||CFC Rating||CFC ID||Section||CFC membership|
|1||FM Victor Plotkin||2414||142063||OPEN|
|2||WIM Yunshan Li||2401||175249||OPEN|
|3||FM Mike Ivanov||2378||140557||OPEN|
|4||FM Tanraj Sohal||2342||135830||OPEN||Expired|
|6||FM Eilia Zomorrodian||2259||169238||OPEN||Expired|
|8||WFM Cindy Qiao||2080||155864||OPEN|
U1400 – 23 pre-registrants
|Number||Name||CFC Rating||CFC ID||Section||CFC Membership|
|18||Nap Hei Joshua Cheung||unr||U1400|
Any questions can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org