On October 28th, 2022, the Hart House Chess Club at the University of Toronto hosted its first blitz tournament of the Fall semester. The Fall Blitz Tournament attracted a sold-out crowd of 60 players (mostly students), with over 10 titled players. Notable student chess players included IM Advait Patel, IM Nicholas Vettese, CM Koosha Jaferian, FM Eilia Zomorrodian, FM Tanraj Sohal, NM Chris Knox, NM Jim Zhao, WFM Cindy Qiao, and the entire PanAms Team. NM Daniel Abrahams and NM Paul Gelis rounded out an elite field. In addition, 16 unrated players competed, showcasing the vast appeal of chess to all levels. The event encapsulated the current demand and interest in both the Chess Club and chess in general in 2022. It is hard to believe that just over 10 years ago, this Club was going through one of its darkest ages with low turnout and without a proper meeting room or time. So far this semester, the Club has hosted GM Evgeny Bareev, selected varsity chess players in the PanAm Qualifiers, hosted the HHCC Bughouse Championship, welcomed IM Shawn Rodrigue-Lemieux and FM James Canty III, and is currently preparing for the HHCC Rapid Championship and 2022 Holidays Open. Congrats to all the winners! We hope to see everyone back at the Club in the near future!
|2||Vettese Nicholas||2418||10||34.5||45.5||2nd – 3rd|
|3||Zhao Jim||2330||10||29||39||2nd – 3rd|
|4||Qiao Cindy||2080||9.5||27.5||36.5||Top Woman|
|14||Lam Eric||1186||7||28||38||Top U1400 – tie|
|15||Chen Aaron||1069||7||27.5||35||Top U1400 – tie|
|17||Yong Nathaniel||0||7||26.5||36.5||Top Unrated – tie|
|18||Melnychuk Denis||0||7||26||33.5||Top Unrated – tie|
|19||Yu Mingzhou||0||7||24.5||33||Top Unrated – tie|
|21||Vu Henry||1376||7||22||29.5||Top U1400 – tie|
|54||Lee Junsyoung Edward||0||2||18.5||25.5|
Join us for HHCC’s Fall Blitz Tournament. Open to all, this 6 round, double-round swiss event encourages students and community members of all levels to get back to in-person chess. Students and community members are welcome and encouraged to come!
Official flyer can be found here.
- WHEN: Friday, October 28th, 7pm – 9:30 pm. Rd #1 starts at 7:00 P.M.
- WHERE: Hart House (7 Hart House Cir, Toronto) – Reading Room.
- WHAT: 6-round double-round Blitz Event (Swiss), using a 5 minute time control.
- RATED: Unrated
- ENTRY FEE: $10 for members, $20 for non-members, free for titled players until Oct 17. Pay online via registration page or onsite before 7.
- PRIZE FUND (est. based on 35 entries): $200 as follows: 1st place – $75; 2nd place – $50; 3rd place – $25; Top Woman – $25; Top U1400 – $25.
- SPECIAL PRIZES: All participants will be entered into a door prize for 3 HHCC t-shirts.
- MAXIMUM CAPACITY: 60 players
- NOTE: chess sets and boards provided, proceeds will help with the Club’s fundraising efforts, including the HHCC’s PanAm Team’s trip to Seattle, Washington in Janruary.
- Register online via this link or onsite (if space permits).
- Email us at email@example.com if you are a titled player
Any questions can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org