In addition to the 2023 Greater Toronto Chess League Team Chess Championship, the Hart House Chess Club will host a Winter Weekly Swiss focused on providing rated classical chess playing opportunities for players of all levels. Entry is free for all HHCC members and players of the GTCL Team CC. Minimal entry fees for all others.
FORMAT & EVENT LOGISTICS
- WHERE: Debates Room or East Common Room, Hart House, University of Toronto.
- CFC-rated swiss tournament over 4 weeks
- 4 rounds weekly over 4 weeks.
- 1 section
- ROUNDS: clocks start at 7:10 pm Tuesdays from Jan. 10th – Jan. 31st.
- TIME CONTROL: 90 mins + 30 secs/move increment
- EQUIPMENT: HHCC will supply all chess equipment, including score sheets
- ARBITER: HHCC Execs with NA Alex Ferreira assisting
- PRIZES: HHCC t-shirt prizes for winners
- ENTRY FEES:
- $0.00 for all HHCC members and GTCL Team CC participants.
- $10.00 per match or $30.00 per tournament for community members/public. Pay by cash before 6:30 pm.
- REGISTRATION: email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or complete registration form at least 2 hours in advance of Round 1 of the tournament. In-person registrations accepted from 6:30 pm – 6:45 pm weekly if space permits.
- EMAIL: email@example.com
- BYES: 1/2 point byes can be requested for any round if requested before Round 1, 0 point byes can be requested for any round if requested 24 hrs in advance.
- CAPACITY: 30 players
- CFC: Registrants must be current CFC members or bring payment prior to playing – https://chess.ca/membership-fees.
The rooms are located in Hart House, 7 Hart House Cir, Toronto, ON M5S 3H3. Ample food and entertainment can be found nearby within walking distance. Ample paid parking is available at a flat rate of $10 per evening throughout the University of Toronto campus – street parking is also available. Hart House is within 10 minutes of walking distance between two subway stations, Museum and St. George. Free Wi-Fi is available for all participants.
Rounds start at 7:10 pm on Tuesdays
Round 1: January 10th – Debates Room
Round 2: January 17th – East Common Room
Round 3: January 24th – East Common Room
Round 4: January 31st – East Common Room
|Player Name||Membership or playing in GTCL Team CC||CFC ID||CFC Rating|
|Sam Chen||Community Member / Public||175633||1440|
|Mohankumar Janakiraman||Community Member / Public||175419||217|
|Daniel Wang||HHCC Member||178191||1417|
|James Mourgelas||Community Member / Public||108540||1279|
|Boomba Nishikawa||HHCC Member||178151||NA|
|Liam McNally||HHCC Member||178152||NA (1177 Quick Rating)|
|Alex Wang||HHCC Member||167967||1803|
|Isabelle Zhu||HHCC Member||149553||1409|
|David||Community Member / Public||178658||NA|
|Slava Lukinykh||Community Member / Public||174578||1235|
NOTE FOR HHCC MEMBERS
HHCC players have the option of playing in this tournament or the GTCL Team CC. GTCL Team CC is intended for stronger players with tournament experience looking to represent the Club for the entire 9-weeks. The Winter Weekly Swiss is intended to provide more rated, competitive chess playing opportunities for our members. One of the goals is to prepare our members to compete at the Canadian Universities Chess Championship in late January, and at the Reading Week Open.