On January 13th, 2023 the Hart House Chess Club hosted its 2023 Blitz Championship at Hart House, the University of Toronto.
The top seeds were IM Advait Patel, a third-year Computer Science student, IM Nicholas Vettese, a first-year general Arts & Science student, WIM Yunshan Li a second-year Psychology & Anthropology student, CM Koosha Jaferian, a Computer Science alumni, and first-year Law Student FM Tanraj Sohal.
The event was held in the East Common Room after feedback from members in Fall 2022 was that rooms were not big enough to run both Casual Chess Fridays and a full-scale chess tournament. 60 students and community members showed up to compete and try their luck at the $400 prize fund. The event was an unrated, 11-round, single round swiss blitz event using a 3+2 time control.
The top-seeds of the tournament performed as expected, with Advait and Tanraj both finishing undefeated as 1st and 2nd. Nicholas tied with alumni Jonathan Yu and first-year Eilia Zomorrodian for tied 3rd. WIM Yunshan Li finished fourth and Top-Woman with 7.5/11. Congrats to Advait Patel for becoming HHCC’s 2023 Blitz Champion!
For full tournament results, please see our chess-results page here. Event was organized and directed by Victor Zheng, Exec at the HHCC.
|Prize||First Name||Last Name|
|3rd ($20 each)||Eilia||Zomorrodian|
|U1900 ($15 each)||Ande||Li|
|U1400 ($20 each)||Artham||Bhoutika|
|Top Woman ($40)||Yunshan||Li|
|Top Unrated ($15 each)||Chol||Akol|
Original event post below…
Join us for the 2023 Hart House Chess Club Blitz Championship! Open to all, this 11-round unrated swiss event to start off the semester! Students and community members are welcome and encouraged to come! Free pizza provided at 6 pm in reading room! Details for the Welcome Back Pizza Party.
Official flyer can be found here.
Format and event details
- WHEN: Friday, January 13th, 7pm – 10 pm. Rd #1 starts at 7:10 P.M.
- WHERE: Hart House (7 Hart House Cir, Toronto) – East Common Room.
- WHAT: 11-round single-round Blitz Event (Swiss), using a 3 minute + 2 second time control.
- RATED: Unrated
- ENTRY FEE: $10 for members, $20 for non-members, free for FMs at least 1 week before. Pay online via registration page by midnight Jan. 12th or onsite with cash before 6:45pm.
- PRIZE FUND (est. based on 60 entries): $385 as follows: 1st place – $100; 2nd place – $75; 3rd place – $50; Top Woman – $40; Top U1900 – $40; Top U1400 – $40.
- SPECIAL PRIZES: All participants will be entered into a door prize for a HHCC t-shirt and toque.
- MAXIMUM CAPACITY: 68 players.
- NOTE: chess sets and boards provided, proceeds will help with the Club’s fundraising efforts, including the HHCC’s CUCC team in late January.
Any questions can be sent to: email@example.com
Pairings and Standings
Pairings and standings can be viewable via Chess-Results, https://chess-results.com/tnr717287.aspx?lan=1
See the Fall Blitz Tournament for an example of how the tournament will run.